If you’re hiding skeletons in your wet locker tonight, watch out! You may hear your engine start, your dock lines hacked, and the heron calls turned to raven cries. It’s Halloween. So beware that the dead may come alive in your cockpit to take you out to sea.
Night Town’s favorite way to ward off evil spirits is with a heavy dose of Ghost Peppers and garlic, both found in this Ghostly Three Flare Chili. Five Alarm? Three Flare? It’s all the same “Send-out-the-Troops!-My-Mouth-is-on-Fire” chili recipe. This one is created with traditional dried Guajillo peppers. No need for the fancy dried peppers, though. Any good chili powder will do as well. And a heavy dose of Ghost Peppers is what makes this chili deadly.
Ghostly Three Flare Chili
1 tablespoon bacon fat
1 large yellow onion, chopped
8 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 jalapeños, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 lbs ground beef
4 dried Guajillo chilis, seeded (or 2 tablespoons chili powder)
2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans
1 tablespoon of beef bouillon dissolved in 1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
4 shakes of Ghost Peppers or more to taste
Seed the dried chilis, if you’re using them. Best to wear plastic gloves so you don’t get that burn on your hands. Don’t rub your eyes afterwards!
Roughly chop enough garlic to keep the vampires at bay. 8-10 cloves of garlic should do it. (Let us know if you find a Pug in this picture.) Chop the onion and the peppers. Heat the bacon fat in a large pot; saute the garlic and onion until translucent. Add the ground beef and continue to cook until the beef has browned.
Next add the broth made with the bouillon, the tomatoes, red beans, chopped green pepper, jalapeños and Guajillo chilis. Let come to a boil. Reduce to simmer and add the the seasonings. Let simmer for 45 minutes.
If you’re using fresh dried chilis, you’ll need to pull them out before serving. (this is what makes chili powder far more convenient.) Add a few shakes of Ghost Peppers and adjust seasonings as needed.
Get out your DVD player or download Netflix to curl up with Pirates of the Caribbean for a toasty, cozy, creepy Halloween night in the cabin! Serve with tortilla strips, shredded cheese and a good Octoberfest beer!
…and sleep with one eye open tonight. Happy Halloween!
Ghostly Three Flare Chili
- 1 tbsp Bacon fat
- 1 Large yellow onion, chopped
- 8 Cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 Jalapeńo peppers, finely chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 lbs Ground beef
- 4 Dried Guajillo chilis, seeded (or 2 tbsp Chili powder)
- 2 15 oz cans Dice tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can Dark red kidney beans
- 1 tbsp Beef bouillon, dissolved in 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 4 shakes Ghost peppers, or more to taste
- Wearing plastic gloves, if you have them, slice the dried chilis in half, length-wise, and seed them.
- Chop the garlic, onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper.
- Heat the bacon fat in a large pot; sauté the garlic and onion until translucent. Add the ground beef and continue to cook until the beef has browned.
- Add the broth made with the bouillon, the tomatoes, red beans, chopped green pepper, jalapeños and Guajillo chilis. Let come to a boil. Reduce to simmer and add the the seasonings. Let simmer for 45 minutes.
- If you're using fresh dried chilis, you'll need to pull them out before serving. Add a few shakes of Ghost Peppers and adjust seasonings as needed.