I had Crab Rangoon at a restaurant last week. It was one of their week’s specials, and knowing I was going to make a version of it for the upcoming Parade of Lights party, I thought I’d give it a go. Hmmm. Well, I realized how not to make my Holiday Crab Rangoon Cups…seemingly all cream cheese, could not detect any crab at all, and otherwise fairly tasteless and boring. I vowed not to subject my fellow party-goers to anything mundane.
Traditional Crab Rangoon is a deep fried cream cheese and crab stuffed wonton. Since deep frying is not highly recommended on a sailboat, I went the “cup” route. Just bake wonton wrappers in a mini muffin cup pan, then stuff them with the filling. Presto. It couldn’t be easier.
Holiday Crab Rangoon CupsJump to Recipe
36 wonton wrappers
8 oz softened cream cheese (1 pkg Philly Cream Cheese)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1+ tablespoon Sriracha sauce
1/2 cup minced scallions
1 cup crab meat
36 cilantro leaves
Small jar red caviar (optional)
Heat your oven to 350º. In a mini muffing tin, place a wonton wrapper in each cup. Bake for 10 minutes until the wrapper edges start to brown. They can be made days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.
Mix the softened cream cheese, soy sauce, sesame oil, Worcestershire sauce, Sriracha sauce and scallions in a medium sized bowl. Blend until all ingredients are well mixed and smooth.
Gently fold in the crab meat.
Now fill all the cups with a spoonful of the crab filling.
To give that holiday spirit, top each with a small amount of red caviar and cilantro leaf. Like I said, this couldn’t be easier.
Our Parade of Lights Party plan did not exactly turn out as expected. We had to miss the Dock Shop party at Annapolis City Marina to meet our daughter from her delayed flight at Dulles Airport. But the Crab Rangoon cups made it to the party! Thanks to Sukey for the photos and Taylor for modeling! The Eastport Yachts Club’s Parade of Lights keeps getting better every year as old boats return and new boats join in the parade. We’ll plan on making it next year!
Holiday Crab Rangoon Cups
- 36 Wonton wrappers
- 8 oz Philly Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp Soy sauce
- 1+ tsp Sesame oil
- 1+ tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup Scallions, minced
- 1 cup Crab meat
- 36 Cilantro leaves
- 1 Small jar of red caviar (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350º. Place a wonton wrapper in each cup of the muffin tin to form "cups". Bake for 10 minutes until edges start to brown.
- Mix the softened cream cheese, soy sauce, sesame oil, Worcestershire sauce, Sriracha sauce and scallions in a medium sized bowl. Blend until all ingredients all well mixed and smooth. Gently fold in the crab meat.
- Fill each wonton cup with a spoonful of the crab filling. For a festive holiday treat, top each with a very small amount of red caviar and top with a cilantro leaf.