Our apologies to all you followers! The recipe picture is no longer appearing in your weekly emails. Aaargh…the problems that can come with site upgrades. We’ll resolve it some day. But in the mean time, do check out the new RECIPE page that has a much easier way of finding those great recipes. And PRINT-FRIENDLY recipe cards that can be printed before your next internet-free cruise!
Galley Pirates is stepping up to the plate today for all you vegetarians out there with a great meat-free meal. This is one of my favorite “throw together at the last minute” meals. It’s an easy-to-serve twist with your traditional lasagne flavors.
Spinach Lasagna Rollups
18 lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 large bag of spinach
10 -12 scallions
3 garlic cloves
32 ounces Ricotta Cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 jar of pasta sauce
Preheat your galley oven to 350º. As with any meal that requires a pot of boiling water on a boat, this is best done in a cool, dry cabin. Boil the pasta noodles in salted water until al denté. Drain, add the olive oil and set aside.
Chop the spinach.
Chop the scallions.
Combine chopped spinach and scallions in a bowl. Press the garlic cloves and stir into the mixture.
Stir in the Ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce into a casserole dish.
Lay each of the lasagna noodles out on a work surface. (other than the chart table. Captains frown on that.) Spread the ricotta mixture onto each noodle.
Gently roll each noodle, careful not to squeeze out the cheese. Stand them upright in the casserole dish.
As you can see here, I must have been working with a box of left over noodles. I didn’t have 18. Yes, 18 noodles fit perfectly into a 13″ casserole dish. So I did a little modification and added the vegetables.
Drizzle some olive oil on brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beans….virtually any good roasting vegetable.
Make their own little “pan within the pan,” and add salt and pepper.
Pour the rest of the pasta sauce over the lasagna rollups and place in your pre-heated oven for 45 minutes. (it looks like I was on reserve pasta sauce as well! It could have used about 2 more cups of pasta sauce. A full jar should be just dandy.)
Easy to make, easy to serve.
Spinach Lasagna Rollups
- 18 Lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Large bag of fresh spinach leaves
- 10-12 Scallions
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 32 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp White pepper
- 1 16 oz Jar of pasta sauce
- Preheat your oven to 360º. Boil lasagna noodles in salted water until al denté. Drain. Fold in the olive oil and set aside.
- Chop the spinach and scallions. Mix together in a large boil. Press the garlic cloves and stir into the greens.
- Add the Ricotta Cheese, egg, Parmesan, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Stir into the greens to combine.
- Spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Lay the lasagna noodles out evenly on a work surface. Spread the cheese mixture onto each noodle in a nice thick layer.
- Roll each noodle up and set it upright in the casserole dish. Do this with all noodles. Pour the rest of the pasta sauce on top.
- Bake in a 350º oven for 40 minutes. Serve hot.