This was the celebratory meal we made after crossing the equator into the southern seas heading toward the Galápagos. It was back in February but seems like just yesterday. As many of you know, crossing the equator is a big deal for sailors. It prompts all sorts of funky traditions like men shaving only half their face, swimming buck naked across the equator, and of course, having a toast of champagne.
Although there were some on the World ARC 2018 who skinny dipped alongside their vessel…and thumbs up to them!…we went with a simple champagne toast (the one and only taste of alcohol on the 6 day trip, I’ll have you know!) and Kale & Quinoa Soup. This was one of Admiral Torie’s favorite vegan soups…healthy, low calorie and easy to prepare…all in one pot. Eating vegan was our salute to the Galápagos as we were about to be welcomed into their environmentally delicate archipelago.
Kale & Quinoa SoupJump to Recipe
1 tbsp EVOO
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Large onion, chopped
2 Large carrots, diced
1/2 lb Kale leaves, large stems removed, washed and chopped
1 cup Quinoa
6 cups Vegetable broth
2-3 Bay leaves
2 tsp Thyme leaves
1 can White beans, (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Mince the garlic; chop the onion and carrots.
In your largest stew pot, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic, onions and carrots until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, bay leaves, quinoa and thyme. Simmer for 30 minutes.
While that simmers, stem, wash and chop the kale. Set to drain in a colander.
Add the kale and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes until kales starts to wilt. Remove bay leaves and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.
Taking in the sunset on this once-in-a-lifetime evening, we Pollywogs became Shellbacks, and toasting to the sea, we were all now Sons and Daughters of Neptune.
Kale & Quinoa Soup
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 2 Large carrots, diced
- 1/2 lb Kale leaves, large stems removed, washed and chopped
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 2-3 Bay leaves
- 2 tsp Thyme leaves
- 1 can White beans, (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onion and carrots. Mince the garlic. With a large sharp knife remove the fibrous stems from the kale leaves. Wash well and chop
- In a large soup pot, heat the EVOO. Sauté the onion, garlic and carrots until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, bay leaves, thyme and quinoa. Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the kale and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes until kales starts to wilt. Remove bay leaves and ladle hot into soup bowls. Serve immediately.
- Many recipes call for a can of white navy or Cannellini beans.