A few weeks back we promised you a Cucumber Gazpacho recipe, reminiscent of my meal at La Poste in Panama City. As cucumbers are still ever-so-abundant in my garden, now is a good time to try to duplicate the restaurant’s delectable little shot of pale green heaven. They served this before the meal alongside some wonderful baked eggplant appetizers. I was unable to get my hands on the recipe so here is my concoction of that palette-pleasing gazpacho.
2-3 cucumbers, peeled and chopped (about 2 lbs)
2 yellow bell peppers, diced
1 fresh Serrano chiles, seeded and minced
1/2 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 vidalia onion
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
2 teaspoons Agave syrup
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Minced scallions and cilantro for garnish
This is a very simple “chop ‘n grind” recipe. I have a hand-cranked food processor which I use on board ALL THE TIME. It purées, whips, grinds, juices, slices, shreds and separates eggs. Take a look here at all of its components. It’s been badly damaged and duct-taped for well over a year, but still holding up just fine. I try to keep the duct tape out of the photos.
If you use a small food processor, you’ll probably have to do this in batches. Grind the cucumbers, bell peppers, Serrano, Vidalia onion, garlic and cilantro. The garlic is going to be raw so go easy on it; it’s going to be pungent. Or omit it altogether.
Transfer to a bowl and add the lime juice, yogurt, salt, Agave and pepper. Stir in well.
Let chill in your ice box for at least a half an hour. This can be made a day or two in advance.
This is not one of those soups you’ll serve as an entrée. Small portions before your meal or with your aperitif is best.
Garnish with minced scallions and cilantro and serve.
- 3 Cucumbers, lightly peeled and chopped
- 2 Yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 Fresh Serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 Garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 Large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro
- 1 cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp Agave syrup
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Minced scallions and additional minced cilantro, for garnish
- Place the cucumbers, yellow peppers, Vidalia onion, garlic, Serrano pepper and cilantro in a food processor and grind until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and add lime juice, yogurt, Agave, salt and pepper. Blend in well and let Place in the ice box for at least a half an hour or overnight.
- Spoon into small dishes and serve. Garnish with minced scallions and cilantro and serve.