At a loss for what to bring to the July 4th dockside party? Forget the potato salad or deviled eggs that can bring on salmonella after a few hours in the sun. Go for this easy-to-make, heat-withstanding corn salad. Or is it a relish. I don’t know. It’s just good. And healthy. With corn, tomatoes, black beans and tomatillos, it’s packed with fiber, vitamins and protein. And nutrition aside, it’s as colorful as your holiday signal flags!
Tomatillo, Corn & Black Bean SaladJump to Recipe
2-3 ears of corn
2 large tomatoes
1/2 Vidalia onion
1 garlic clove
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
juice of 1/2 lime
This can be made well in advance of your party. Even a day ahead.
Cut the corn off the cobs. Chop the tomatoes, tomatillos and onion. Combine in a large bowl. Press or mince the garlic and stir into the vegetables. Rinse and drain the black beans; stir into the vegetables. Add the spice and juice of half a lime. Blend in well and place in your icebox to cool. Stir occasionally to combine the the flavors.
Raise those flags high and enjoy your Independence Day celebration!
Tomatillo, Corn & Black Bean Salad
- 2-3 Ears of corn (or 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned)
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 3-4 Tomatillos, chopped
- 1/2 Large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 Can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 tsp Sea salt
- 1+ tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 Lime, squeezed (or 1 tablespoon lime juice)
- Cut the corn off the cobs. Chop the tomatoes, tomatillos and onion.
- Combine into a large bowl. Mince or press the garlic and blend into the vegetable mix. Stir in the black beans.
- Add spices and the juice of half a lime. Stir to combine and refrigerate. This can be made a day ahead. Give it a good stir before serving.