It’s after July 4th…full on summer…and I’m craving Lobster Rolls. Tender sweet morsels of Maine lobster, dripping in butter on a toasted Hoagie roll. That was my dream. So I set off to the seafood market where upon I faced…sticker shock! Did I really want to spend upwards of $70 to feed 6 people sandwiches? Maybe some day I’ll shove my hands into deep pockets, but not today. So the compromise is Langostino: small, frozen Langostine lobster tails. Since the meat is frozen, it’s super easy to throw together and the filling can be made a day ahead. Substitute cooked shrimp or crawfish if you’d like.
Langostino RollsJump to Recipe
1 1/2 lbs cooked, frozen langostino lobster meat (or substitute with cooked shrimp or crawfish)
2 inner celery stalks and leaves, finely chopped
1/2 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of sugar
6 Hoagie rolls, split and lightly toasted
Thaw your Langostino meat by running it under warm water in a colander. Finely chopped the celery and onions. Juice one lemon.
Mince the parsley and tarragon.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and mayonaise.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate. This can be made a day ahead.
Toast your hoagie rolls. Since I don’t have a toaster on board and don’t want to heat up the cabin by lighting the oven both Pirate Kristin and I use camp toasters. Keep the flame fairly low when using these.
Load up the hoagie rolls with the Langostino salad mixture and serve with Kettle chips and some summer watermelon. You will have a happy captain and crew!
And keep checking in on Galley Pirates. Someday, yes, someday you will see a recipe for Lobster Rolls!
- 1 1/2-2 lbs Cooked, frozen Langostino meat
- 2 Celery stalks, minced
- 2/3 cup Vidalia onions, minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 6 Hoagie rolls or hot dog buns
- If your lobster meat is cooked and frozen, let thaw by running it under warm water in a colander. Chop the lobster meat into small bite-sized pieces. Finely chopped the celery and onions. Juice one lemon. Mince the parsley and tarragon.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and tarragon. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate. This can be made a day ahead.
- Toast the hoagie rolls or hotdog bun. Load up the rolls with the Langostino salad and serve with chips and fruit.